Learning to use a Circular Sock Machine that is older than me.

Sunday, 18 October 2009

Early Days the start of a Steep Learning Curve

Welcome to my Knitting in the Round Blog
I want to air my thoughts on looking for, buying and learning to knit on a Circular Sock Machine.


I own a Griswold which was manufactured, in Leicester England, around the 1920's.

Most machines of this age have been previously owned by someone who probably had one either to make a living or at the very least supply lovely warm socks for their families.

My machine however was never used by anyone. I am its first owner to actually knit on it.

So she is over 80 years old.

Before the machine arrived I joined  Ravelry Circular Sock Machine There is a very active Group of people who own, or are looking to own, a sock machine.

I was so looking forward to its arrival. I bought some wool, then I bought some more!

I was so disappointed with the machine when it did finally arrive. I was expecting it to be a bright, shiny, cleaned up job. I paid enough for it. (Him indoors was not impressed) I put it away for a few weeks.

After setting the machine up again I tried to make a tube on it, but it just kept jamming. So I decided to take it to pieces and give it a rub down with the sporting life. Well the dirt and grease that came off it was something to behold.

I used some Acrylic yarn for practice and was finding, with copious amounts of oil, it was running more smoothly. Even with the tension set at the largest stitch it was making a fabric that resembled chainmail.

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment